Half-Way There

With week 20 behind us, we've officially crossed the half-way point of our pregnancy. By now our little bean weighs around 11 ounces and is about 7 inches long (think large banana). Its bones are gradually hardening, meaning that pretty soon Jay will be able to feel the flutters that Jade has been feeling since she took off for Costa Rica. The kicks get stronger every day. It even seems to react when we harmonize with each other!

After a lot of thought and research, we decided to hire a doula to support us during the birth. We're really thrilled with Libby Garofalo, pre- and post-natal masseuse and very good soul. She'll give both of us a wide range support and peace of mind, making the baby's transition into the world, and Jade's transition into motherhood, gentler during and after birth.

We also attended an postpartum Ayurvedic pregnancy class. Ayurveda is the oldest traditional medicine, native to India, and speaks to balance, balance, balance. The biggest thing we took away was that no matter how strong a brand new mother may be, she is as delicate as her newborn and should chill out for the 6 weeks after the birth. ("42 days for 42 years of vibrancy"). Taking this restful time significantly reduces what we're taught to be "normal" post-partum problems like depression, difficulty healing, troublesome nursing, bad digestion, trouble sleeping, and on and on. Our midwife has also been stressing that we take this time, so it was good to learn more about why it's so important. As they say, your baby is only one week old once, but the laundry, that'll be there forever.

We just purchased our first official baby toy — a Totoro baby gym shipped directly from Japan. The characters are from an 80's japanamie film we love. Totoro, spirit of the forest. Sasha's already shown how comfortable and engaging it can be. Even if the baby doesn't love it, she will!

9 comments:

  1. yes! happy to hear libby is part of this.she is so sweet and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got one of those baby gyms at a consignment sale here for $10... Iris LOVeS it, so does Klaus. Also anything squeaky he thinks is his so the sophie giraffe toy might one day end up being stolen by him. It drives him nuts when she and I play with it. Another baby essential, a bumbo chair, or one like it. Iris holds her head up very well now so I can use it, I can put her in it on the counter as I prepare dinner and we chit chat and have a grand old time. I got it used on s with the try for $15.
    I am ALL FOR the resting. I told myself I will not do anything for the first month but hibernate with her and nurse, and i pretty much did that with the occasional walk to ward off cabin fever. Having a VERY supportive partner and friends is key, I (and Jade I am sure) have that. I healed tremendously fast and well. Not one complication at all. I see a few other women I know with babies Iris' age still having issues. Take it easy and enjoy that baby. I have my days when I feel guilty if I havent done anything but play with Iris, nurse and nap with her. But then I tell myself this is the ONLY time I will ever have this time with her, so damn it I will enjoy it!!! I can clean the house on the weekend when Max is home playing with her.
    Oh and a baby sling of some sort is essential too. One of the kid stores here has all the different ones you can try and see which one you like. I bet one near you does the same. You guys might like different ones. People are different body types and fit differently. We have a moby wrap some one gave us, and a maya wrap another person gave us. I like both, max likes the maya and is warming up to the moby. I will be purchasing a Beco in a short while. I like the Gemini version, the other one only faces the child towards you, but the Gemini allows the child to face out and on your hip. Iris LOVES to face out and see the world, she will only face towards my body if she is sleepy and ready to nap. I dont suggest the sling ones that are one size, the baby grows out of it very fast, sort of a waste of money.
    wow, I started to ramble......... sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. A totoro play mat, that is just awesome! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great feedback ~ thanks everyone. Abby: if Libby has Abby's seal of approval, then we're on the right course. Liz: thanks for all the tips. I knew you'd understand the importance of rest and healing... and baby time, of course. Carrie: I wish I knew when this Totoro gym was made, but only one store online was selling it and it has now closed. It wasn't cheap, but we just needed to get it. We also purchased a catbus costume for a young child and a foxsquirrel doll (from Nausicaa). Yea Ghibli!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice belly and nice arms! Are you lifting weights to get your arms ready to hold that big bundle on the outside? Ive seen people set up meal train sites so that your community can cook and care for you during those precious 6 weeks. I know its early but the belly blog seems like the perfect format for that. You don't want to get tricked into hosting during that time, and everyone is gonna want to schnooker that baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today marks the end of our first 6 weeks. I don't think I prepared for it enough- kudos to you for planning ahead. Fully surrendering to baby's needs and your healing are so key. And having a partner willing to do all the work of supporting you- so so important. Enjoy the last half of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes prepare!, I had weeks of meals in the freezer ready to go. People brought us food at first, but when that stopped we were prepared.
    Jade - it is very hard to eat as much as you need and as well as you need while nursing in the beginning, it seems like all you do is sit on the couch or rocking chair and nurse (but remember to get up on occasion to ward off hemorrhoids!)...... there are days when the kid has growth spurs and you really are just nursing all day. I still find it hard to remember to eat all the time, nursing make me ravenous. I am ten times hungrier nursing then I was pregnant.
    Sorry I keep going on and on, but I am going through this as i type...... baby is attached at the boob, where she has been for 2 days and I am starving after eating allllll day long. I am VERY thankful for Max and his want to support me and help, he basically serves me on somedays. Jay I am sure you will be a great help to Jade, I really feel for women who don't have that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so exciting to see you with baby inside!
    Another friend of ours in Putney just had a baby.
    I completely agree from my secondhand viewpoint Jade. Michelle rested a lot after birth and it was great for her. If I, being a guy may say so...it was great having a midwife homebirth experience with the portable tub...but post birth it would have been great to have a lactation consultant. Michelle (we) just assumed it was natural, pop the baby on the boob and all is good. For some people that is true but if it doesn't work like that right off don't shy away from having someone be sure all is good in latch land. Otherwise a lot of discomfort and issues can result.
    Congratulations guys! And yes, the meal train is key! Don't be afraid to ask a friend of yours to call a bunch of people and schedule for them to bring you dinners for a few weeks. It saved us nutritionally.

    ReplyDelete