Week 30

The baby in this belly is getting so strong! Its curious, almost polite taps and kicks have become abdomen-jolting, stomach-distorting all-night jamborees. I had thought that this baby slept soundly through the night because it never woke me up. Lo and behold, the other night Jay and the baby 'hung out' on their own as it kicked and spun against his hand for over an hour while I slept on soundly!

We learned at our last midwife appointment that the baby is head-down and unlikely to turn right-side up again. (I'm hopeful!) In this video, we hear its sturdy heartbeat. If you watch my midwife's hand, you can see it jolt as the baby kicks this curious invasion of its turf. The heartbeat immediately picks up, then slows – all signs of a healthy baby!



The belly 'met' its Oma and Opa last Friday – my mom and dad got to see me pregnant in person for the first time since we shared the news in January. They felt it kick, and my dad even felt its hiccups! It was really wonderful to absorb their loving maternal/paternal vibes.


After much research, we've decided to try placental encapsulation, which comes from Traditional Chinese Medicine and provides a lot of natural iron and hormonal balance to the mom. (We aren't using the practitioner in this link, but it's a nice summary, and on the evening news!) I understand the natural benefits of consuming one's placenta...but can't quite see myself frying it up like liver and onions or putting it raw into a smoothie. Guh... We'll try the pill/tincture route, prepared by a local professional, and see if it makes things easier postpartum. The tincture is even supposed to help me and the baby during rocky transitional times, like weaning.

Our little gardens are growing, and we harvested our first garlic scapes this weekend. We steamed them and they were delicious!

4 comments:

  1. You look so happy and beautiful in that video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you Eden! And happiest of birth days to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful belly, mama!

    I wish I'd encapsulated Oliver's placenta, but it went into the freezer and then we moved around a whole bunch and, guess what? It's still in a freezer. In California. I have a feeling it's lost some healing potential after 6 years and some change. Next time we're visiting, we'll plant it near the pre-Columbian oak that was a good friend of C's growing up, freezer burn and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love the idea of encapsulation, makes total sense to me.. plus easy to swallow ;) Good for you!

    I love the pic with the parental hands, awww.

    Cheers & best to all 3 of you. You're in the 30s now!!

    ReplyDelete